Buy or rent
Logo3 small

A roof above our heads is undeniably important. Owning a house is one of the reasons why many of us work so hard. However, the escalating prices of properties have reached a level where affordability has become a social issue, where owning a house seems impossible for many of us - especially if you are a fresh grad. So what about renting instead?

A recent statement issued by Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) advised Malaysians to rent first if they really cannot afford a home.

This statement came after a recent study showed that it is 'severely unaffordable' to own a house in Kuala Lumpur and Penang, while it is 'seriously unaffordable' for the states of Selangor and Johor.

Before jumping into any conclusions, let's have a look at the pros and cons of both options:

Deciding to buy or rent purely based on emotions may lead you to financial difficulties. Who wouldn’t buy a home if they can afford to do so? Being able to own your own home is indeed a cheerful thing in life, but stretching yourself too far could land you in bankruptcy. Don’t forget that unexpected life events such as getting a baby and job loss could jeopardise your budget planning.

Be mindful that a house will only belong to you when it is fully paid off; otherwise, it belongs to the bank. Nevertheless, start planning now and with proper financial guidance, all of us are able to own a house.

This article was written by Alex Yeoh, a licensed financial planner who reckons that financial planning knowledge is one of the biggest investments every one of us should not neglect. You can reach him via email at alexyeoh@vka.com.my for further information.

SHARE THIS TOPIC

Chinese ad 4621 326x150 01

P  2c3e50 small

I think if one can afford to own nobody will want to rent. 

L  2c3e50 small

For long term, buy will be the better way. So that in the future you can really "own" the house. 

Img 20170304 123648 hdr  2  small

Get a house. Anywhere doesn't matter. Don't think too.much. the longer you think the more expensive it is. Can even consider Prima 1 house if budget ate issue.

Own dp small

It depends on the work he/she has. Normally a person/buyer will only buy a property near to where he/she stays as they know the place best and used to the area. For renting wise, sometimes they have no choice of the relocation of work that makes them need to rent a bedroom or a unit of apartment for working purposes and it saves on the traveling cost to work.

Kate chew small

@vincent_wong, totally agree with you. At the end of the day, it is still better that your money goes to the bank for your loan repayment for the ownership of your own house, rather than paying the landlord to stay in a house that don't belong to you. 

J  d35400 small

for me rent is better compare to buy. Buy for investment only. 

San antonio spurs wallpaper small

For me, sure buy a house is better than rent a house. But property price is getting high and make a lot of people can't afford it, so rent a house maybe a good way for now. 

James bond craig junio2006 small

If one can afford to buy with not much of cash flow issue, I don't think rental is an option. 

65648440 2406793556070448 9165628430648082432 o small

@admin_ps good sharing