Renting to students the pros and cons cover
Logo3 small

如果您在大专院校附近拥有物业,可以是好事,也可以是坏事,因为您要找租客可真容易,然而也会不幸地招来麻烦!为什么呢?其实出租给学生是上佳选择,因为您不愁没租客,可是有时他们也会制造许多麻烦。所以如果您要租屋给学生,先别急!以下是一些出租给学生的利与弊:

租给学生租客的好处:

一、学生租客不会鸡蛋里挑骨头

只要有张象样的床、可以做功课的桌椅和厨房,还有上网设备,就这么简单可以租屋了。学生通常花好多时间在校园,所以室内装潢相对不那么重要。但基本设施只需还可使用就行,在家俱方面也无需张罗。

如果您担心失窃,那就好在新租客住进来之前,记录下来屋里有些什么物件。同时要提醒他们不能携带任何违禁品入屋。

二、不愁没租客

学生租客会源源不绝,因此不用担心房子会长久空荡。而且由于上课的关系,一般上大学生的租期会比较长。

而且,如果您是比较具慧眼的房东,您可以轻而易举地从人群中挑选适合的租客。但切记,若要出租成功,您得确保租金合理,而且物业若出现任何问题,一定要马上采取抢修行动。此外,与租户保持良好关系 ,也可以帮助租客为您保养物业。

三、租金来源可靠

大多数学生都是靠家长来供书,他们也可能已获得贷学金、奖学金或其它财援来升学。所以付租金对他们来说不是大问题。但是,如果您担心他们的财务能力,可以要求他们先发一张未到期兑现的支票。有些家长甚至会预付一学期的租金给您,只求子女无后顾之忧!

但为求安全起见,您也得清楚租客的财务近况。而且可以分房出租,因为大致上租房间,比租下整间房子的租金来得实惠。

租给学生租客的坏处:

一、不负责任的学生租客

有些学生或是第一次在家长缺席的情况下,自立门户居住,所以您可要有心理准备,他们可能会做出一些破坏您产业的举动。一些学生可能会做出一些疏忽行为,或是携带违禁品,以致损害您做为业主的声誉。您得确保出租给什么类型的学生,出租前也得采取预防措施。

为了避免类似事件发生,您可以考虑约见律师,列明租约详节,包括考虑任何附带风险,才出租给这些学生租客。

二、租客人数难以预算

试想象,本来有3名学生租下您的屋子,可是某天您从邻居口中方知其实屋内已住8个人!房子有如此络绎不绝的租客,到最后损失的还是业主本身。

故事的启示就是,请确保真正入住的学生租客人数,您的物业面积越大,就得更严谨地约束租客人数。

或许可以设定入住人数顶限,以免夜长梦多。如果您怀疑物业还是多了可疑人物入住,不妨多巡察。

三、不甚了解何谓租屋

大多数学生是不甚了解租房子的概念。他们可能最终将您的屋子搞得乱七八糟,却毫不知道自己犯了什么错。整洁问题颇为常见。所以接洽学生租客时,可需时间让他们“上手”学习,在租屋里什么可行,什么不可行。

与学校宿舍相比,在校园外租屋或租房需负上许多责任的。学生租客可能比一般租客来得浑噩,不过他们总有地方学的!所以出租给学生时得要注意。

同时,若有新一批学生入住,必定要让他们重新学习,如果您自觉是有耐性应付这一切,那么不妨可以尝试出租给学生租客。

总结:

您现在知道出租给学生是有好有坏,当然每个学生因人而异,所做行为也不一样。但最重要法则是,清楚您的物业出租给何人,列明所有可为和不可为的事项。预先声明一些犯禁举动是明智的行动。所以啊,有必要做好防范措施才出租。

欲寻找租客?点击此处发送您的需求,我们即会尽量协助您!

(Translated by: Wayne Chan, 21st June 2017)

SHARE THIS TOPIC

Photo  26  small

I have rented out a one bedroom condominium to a student from East Malaysia. Her parents pay for the rental which is right on the dot without delay. No major issues except one of the air-conditioner and the washing machine malfunctioned.  However, the unit can be messy and unkempt because the student's life is to spend more time on their studies and less on housekeeping.      

S  f1c40f small

@davidwong propose to her parents to pay for twice a week maid to clean up her place for health and improve study results reasons.

Signature 28 logo  custom  small

From my experience. 

Usually the graduating seniors will recommend to their juniors if the location is convenient and close to the college.

It is also easier to pass down and sell off their stuff to the juniors.

15219622 10209964317118703 4156465930576326297 n small

@davidwong that why better solution is, get them a higher and reasonable rental. Use the money to get a cleaning service at least one week once.

James bond craig junio2006 small

Based on my experience, pros of renting to students would be easily and quickly rented out if it's nearby colleges or universities. Also, usually they won't negotiate when it comes to rental because it's paid by their parents. Cons would be, majority of them will trash your place by the time they leave. Sometimes the deposit cannot even cover the amount for your refurbishment.

@james_bob 

In other words, it is still a good long term investment to purchase properties nearby colleges; for rental yield returns. 

Img 5409 small

if the students is going to rent for 2 or 3 years then it reduce the hassle to find new tenant. 

Photo  26  small

@alextxm96 Yes I agree that highger rental is needed to cover the higher risk of uncleanliness and wear & tear by students (although not all students are like that). However, they are desperate Landlords who are able to accept the lower rental budget of the students that will have an impact on this strategy  

And if the property is rented to students before... most probably you will need to do minor renovation (wall painting for instance) before it can be rented out to family tenants again...

Screen shot 2016 01 21 at 8.27.17 pm small

I have once rented a room out for 2 female students to stay, 3 months tenancy only. Thankfully they are such sweet tenants, no trouble given, maybe due to the short stay period too.

Img thing small

Usually quite high demand by student especially near the local campuses, so no worries in renting out your unit. BUT be prepared for them trashing your place and the need to renovate before renting out again. 

@veron 

That is the reason why owners need to conduct visits/inspection to your unit once every few months. To keep the trashing at bay. Haha. 

Img thing small

@domng That's true! But most owners don't. Too much hassle I guess.

@veron 

Yes you are right, for most owners... as long as you pay the rental on time, they will not do inspections...

S  f1c40f small

screen your tenants no matter who they are

@Sharifah_MJ 

Agree... best case if can see who the other occupants are. Not just dealing with one student only...

James bond craig junio2006 small

Get a private investigator! LOL :P

Att 1389527671120 10  k.k. sah  4739  small

If got others Better Option , I won't rent to student ...

Photo  26  small

I have rented a 1 bedroom condominium to a university college student who is a Malaysian. She is the occupant and her father enters into the Tenancy Agreement and pays for the rent. Her rental has been prompt for the past one year and she is  responsible. 

@davidwong 

So nice to have a father like that. The college student can really focus on her studies.

Img thing small

I guess not all students are like that. We were once upon a time ago like them. We didn't wreck people's house, in fact we kept it really well. Well... at least I did.

@veron 

The owner is very fortunate to have a tenant like you... hassle free.

Photo  26  small

In fact the female student called me for a pre-inspection (4 days earlier) of the apartment to check on any damages, defects or missing items prior to the official handover of vacant possession of the apartment back to the Landlord. I am amazed that she make is a point to serviced back all the air-conditioners, cleaned up the unit and replaced missing or broken plates, cups or utensils. She also ensured that all her utilities bills are paid up to date except for those bills that are forthcoming. She told me that she even googled to find out the ethics of renting an apartment and what not to leave behind. Excellent student tenant whom we will welcome her to stay on if she decides to work in KL after her graduation. The key here is open and regular communication with the tenant on any issues during the term of the tenancy period.        

C  16a085 small

i think if u want to invest for student tenant, it is best to choose those with walking distance to school. Students dont mind paying more if the location is near as they can save their transportation & time cost

Img thing small

@davidwong Yea I guess it's quite subjective. A lot of investors do buy properties closer to Universities / Colleges because it's easy to get it rented out. However, there are some who has bad experience renting out to irresponsible student and left them traumatised :D

Jn profile picture small

I have good experience with student tenants from China ...Good paymaster & seldom raise any complaint . 

I believe commercial units nearby college and universities... are good investment too.

Constant student crowd, and easy to hire part timers. Especially true for cafes and yumcha place which provide good ambiance for study and provide free WiFi! 

65648440 2406793556070448 9165628430648082432 o small

@admin_ps thanks for sharing