Livingroom
Me small

I'll be handed over my keys to my condo in a few months.

The locations in Bandar Saujana Putra is set to be filled with faculty, doctors and student as the MAHSA main campus (Huge.....) is located there. Unfortunately, my deal for the condo did not include any sort of furnishing. I wish to rent it out ...

Question :

Would you recommend fully furnishing the unit?
- Lighting, Air conds, water heaters, washing machine, fridge, Hood+Stove, kitchen cabinets, Sofa, Dining table, TV, Beds and wardrobes etc etc (Huge blow to my pocket, but I've been advised it yields better rental)

Or

Would you recommend I furnish/equip the unit basically?
- Lighting, Air con, Hood+Stove, Kitchen Cabinet, Fridge, Water heater.

Reasons for these questions is that I've been getting very subjective feedback as things like Sofas, Beds, Dining tables, curtains are all pretty personal to taste and may deter potential tenants. On the other hand, it's likely a fully furnished unit would fetch higher rental should the tenant not be too fussy about the furnishings.

** note, I of course wont be furnishing with old junk, but taste is always subjective...

Dillema mode on. Help!!

SHARE THIS TOPIC

E  27ae60 small

Congratulations on your purchase!

It really depends on who are your target audience. If you are going for students, furnish cheaply. They don't take care of your stuff. Go to this site, you can get second hand washing machines and fridge's there for below RM300 each. Just get them the small fridge, no need the big one. https://www.facebook.com/groups/172483666248337/ You can get all sorts of furniture from there as well, including sofas. Furnish each room with a basic table and chair for studying, a cheap cupboard and bed, then you can rent out more expensive based on the fact that it's "fully furnished"

No need to install air-cond for them, and set a limit to your electricity bills, RM100 max per month, anything extra your tenants will need to split and share the cost. Think carefully whether you really want to allow cooking in your unit. They can seriously mess the place up, especially dirty tenants who don't clean up after themselves. Trust me, if they want to cook Maggi, they can do it in a rice pot. They can also make porridge and spaghetti in a rice pot, and they can even hard boil eggs in a rice pot to make egg sandwiches. So in your description you can say "only light cooking allowed" and don't buy a hood and hob for them for heaven's sake unless you are very sure you will 100% always get a clean and fastidious tenant!!

Water heater is a must, just get a basic one from Sen Heng or something, if I'm not mistaken they're having a Maybank card member promotion now. Get one with the ability to increase water pressure, otherwise if you are on a high floor with low water pressure you're gonna get very irritated tenants. For lighting just put florescent lights. Don't need anything fancy. See if any of your relatives have any cast off bedsheets and curtains, get them to give them to you. I'm sure every family will have some old and worn out single sized bedsheet somewhere. Make sure your beds are all single sized. If 2 people wanna share a bedroom, you can just remove the bedframe and put 2 mattresses on the floor. Oh, right. And partition the rooms if you want to rent out to more students. A 4 bedroom unit can become a 6 bedroom unit. Just partition the Master bedroom and the second bigger room.

Ok, now. If your target market are doctors, you'll need to furnish the house better laaa... you'll need to furnish to impress, make sure you don't get the small fridge, get the big one. You can find some in the link I gave you up there as well. Cast off furniture are also fine for this breed, just make sure it's not obvious that it's cast off furniture! You can get good second hand ones too! Washing machine also, you can get a good second hand one. They probably won't cook if they're male, but just put the hood and hob there. And they'll probably want a microwave too, LCD TV, a better and more comfortable bed, air-cond, dining table.... basically you'll need to make it look showroom perfect. Whaddya expect?! They're doctors! And to be honest, I don't know so much about renting to the 'higher class' except that they definitely expect more.

So yea..... depends on you, hope I helped. xP

E  27ae60 small

Oh and if you need someone to make kitchen cabinets, I've got a contact. Depending on what kind of wood and what kind of quality you request for, the price will defer. I think can get for as low as RM5k? Not sure. But they're custom made ones la.

Me small

Thanks Elizabeth! Will definitely consider your points and thoughts... As for the Kitchen Cabinet, I have a couple of suppliers but would of course let ya know should I need another quote.. The cheaper(affordable) the better for me. LOL

E  27ae60 small

Hehe! I wish you good luck and all the best!! =D

E  27ae60 small

Oh, right. And for higher rental... I've gotten units before that are like "All Malay Females Only" or "All Chinese Females Only". Trust me, girls like staying with girls only. It's way more comfortable! And I know that girls are usually more willing to pay higher for a unit that's for all girls only!

Me small

Oh.... Never thought of that... Something to consider...

Kate chew small

You definitely need to add value by doing up and furnishing your unit in order to get higher rental yield. Otherwise, I think you will only be able to rent it out at about RM1,500+- per month.

P  2c3e50 small

Do the maths.
Furnished unit can fetch higher rental. But you need to invest in all the furnishing. Include the cost of furnishing when u calculate your ROI. U need to include the depreciation cost of all the furnishing also. Max, after 5 years u should expect all the furnishing need to be replaced. (tenants don't really take care of all these stuff).
With furnishing, u might also invite more calls from your tenant ... especially when the thing breakdown.
After all these consideration, u might opt to take a lower rental and save all the headache.

R  8e44ad small

It depend on whom you are renting. Normally if it's for students, they would prefer to rent a fully furnished unit.