Articles things people want in rental 2500 1
Logo3 small

The sky is blue, documents are set, the barista wrote your name right and you’re almost ready to rent your property. What should you do? Furnish it? Keep it semi-furnished? Do you dig up data about the people in your area? You sit down and begin to pen all the demographics and information about the people you can possibly rent to. Within that time you passionately study and create incredible ideas. Your coffee spills on your notebook. The world is as dark as your coffee. Who are you? Why are you?

It’s fine, we at PropSocial are here to help you. We conducted a survey with our community and through their voices we have learned what people actually want in your rental. People’s needs vary due to many factors. The easiest yardstick we can humbly use to measure needs would be their age.

People who are renting above age 35 will have different needs compared to young millennials or Gen Zs who are moving out of the nest. There are also various factors to consider, especially the mindset of the younger generation. Many have opted to rent as opposed to buying properties in the long run.

In our survey, we listed down various furnishings that people actually want. Out of 114 respondents, the vast majority prioritise 4 major furniture items. This includes:

1. Air conditioning - 68 Votes
2. Refrigerator - 64 Votes
3. Washing Machine - 63 Votes
4. Water Heater - 55 Votes

To our surprise, mattresses came in with only 38 votes! This begs the question, why do mattresses list low on the voting poll? Let’s take a look at the other items that our community cares about:

1. Mattresses - 38 Votes
2. Sofa - 15 Votes
3. Dining Table - 8 Votes
4. Microwave - 3 Votes
5. Kitchen Cabinet - 1 Vote

So we got to thinking, the items that aren’t a necessity to the users who voted on this poll all have one thing in common: personal connection. Mattresses are largely personal to their person(s). Is this due to the easy accessibility of online shopping that makes it easier for people to purchase their own personal items? One thing is for sure, there is a clear divide.

After the vote of mattresses, nothing seems at all necessary. We interviewed some millennials looking at renting furnished or semi-furnished apartments. Lee (28), said that “a couch would be nice but I don’t really care.”. He also said that “I would rather move in my heavy mattress because I know what it’s been through. Mattresses, couches? I don’t know what they’ve been through.”.

Dining Tables, microwaves and kitchen cabinets all seem like bonuses to our users. This information should help you to reduce your cost. In a separate interview, JM (32) said “I have all my things already. I bought them as I rented from place to place. If I don’t need them for the next place, I sell them online.”. We found her next statement extremely interesting, “A TV really isn’t something I need when I look for a house.”.

So when you are preparing your apartment for rent, you now have a clear guide on what people actually need. If you do want to increase your chances of renting out your property, we suggest the following:

Consider filling the space up with mirrors. Mirrors used to enhance lighting not only make the space look bigger but give your potential tenants a good experience during the viewing. It gives them a taste of what the day-to-day environment can look like.

Storage Space. Knowing that the younger generation has so many of their own personal items, storage space like cabinets can be used to their advantage.

Power plugs and sockets. With working-from-home and uncertainty in our everyday lives, having an abundance of power plugs and sockets might be the small attention to detail that people genuinely need.

If you are looking to list your homes for rent, you can do it for free HERE. Or post your requirements and we will get back to you as soon as possible. You can do that HERE.  

(Written by Christian Palencia, 15th October 2021)

SHARE THIS TOPIC

Jonathan de ho half body small

Aircond definitely compulsory to live in Malaysia haha. Heater, fridge, washing machine will be secondary demand.