Cover
Thumb circle red small

You’re moving towards becoming more independent and have just bought a new home to settle down – it’s a good time to think about ideas to personalised your home and make it more of your own. The first thing that everyone thinks about when considering a house renovation or makeover is, ‘should I paint the walls a different colour or keep it as it is?’.

Just ask any contractor or interior designer and they will tell you that the colour you choose for the interior of your house can dramatically affect your mood and how comfortable you feel in it.

Source: bfarhardesign.wordpress.com  

1. Think About The Mood You Want

A good place to start is to imagine what type of mood and environment you’d like a particular room to have. Think about your living room, do you want it to be a place to relax and wind down or, do you want it to be a space that will impress with lots of drama and opulence? There’s no right or wrong answer, simply what you want to achieve – your colour choices will largely depend on this!

Source: decalarama.co.uk

2. Get To Know Your Colours & Their Function

Once you’ve got an idea of the mood you want to have for your room, it’s time to explore your colour options! There are certain colours that have been identified to create different moods – for instance, red is considered an intense colour perfect for active spaces like the gym or the dining room to stimulate a good appetite.

Contrary to what most parents think, your kid’s room does not necessarily need to be really bright. Some children do get very restless and easily irritated in brightly coloured bedrooms, so it can be very hard for them to sleep. Everyone reacts differently to different colours – take your time to discover your preferences.

Source: freshome.com

3. Test The Colours

It’s not the end of the world if you think you’ve bought the wrong paint colour. But, if you are really worried about it, try testing the colour on a large area of the wall first. This is one way to find out how it will turn out in your room.

Source: whatthevita.wordpress.com  

4. Test The Colours Again, From Another Room

Another way to test how you feel about a paint colour is to walk from one room into another – you’ll be able to see how the colours flow from one space to another. It’s the best way to gauge how the different colours interact – a good ‘colour flow’ between rooms creates a sense of harmony in your house so you won’t feel awkwardly disconnected when walking into different parts of your home.

You can paint each room a different colour if you’d like and still maintain a good colour flow by using a palette of lighter and darker shades in the same colour scheme, or mix-and-match the undertones.

Source: whatkatiemadenext.com  

5. Refer To A Colour Chart Or Wheel

Almost every paint manufacturer in the world has a colour chart to help customers choose the right paint colour for their home. It is a good tool to have as a professional reference if you want to know more about what colours can function together in an interior design scheme.

You can also tell which colours don’t go well together like green and red, which are already intense colours on their own so combining them together in a room can be very overwhelming and uncomfortable.

Source: wanderingrush.wordpress.com

If all the reds, blues, violets, greens and blue-greens are confusing you, we’ve got the right people to help you out on Kaodim.com – contact our qualified team of interior designers and renovation contractors who are available all over the Klang Valley in Kuala Lumpur, Puchong, Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Damansara as well as in Penang and Johor Bahru.

They can help you to choose the perfect paint colour, complete your wall painting, plan your home interior design and get all your home renovation works done!  

--
Kaodim (https://www.kaodim.com) matches you with vetted and verified contractors, plumbers, electricians, personal trainers, and almost any other type of service providers. Receive customised quotations, personalised profiles and user reviews to hire with confidence.

SHARE THIS TOPIC

Pic small

I am a fan of Jotun, all my property is painted with Majestic (for Interior) and Jotun Jotashield Extreme for exterior. (probably it's just me as I use to paint my house myself and I find that it is easier to paint ... for a non professional painter like me :) )

P  2c3e50 small

Take some time to choose the colors, it will really make a difference.