Cooks
Logo3 small

Screen shot 2015 03 09 at 3.23.04 pm large

When you are in the process of buying a property, you will usually get a long list of advice from well-meaning friends and family members, designed to help you in your decision making process and narrow down your choices. While they may mean well, it might not do to listen to all the advice or you will never come to a conclusion on which property to buy. Next thing you know, the property which you have finally decided to buy, has been sold or has increased in price. Sounds familiar?

Below are just some of the typical advice you will get in Malaysia with its numerous cultures.

Screen shot 2015 03 09 at 3.26.41 pm large
- Do not face North: Hard to dry clothes
- Do not face South: Too hot
- Do not face East: Morning sun
- Do not face West: Evening sun
- Which direction to face depends on what group the breadwinner is from. If from the East group, house must face East, North, South or Southeast. If from the West group, house must face Northwest, Southwest, West or Northeast

Screen shot 2015 03 09 at 3.30.24 pm large
- Cemetery (night time visitors)
- Hospital (ambulance siren 24/7)
- Facing T-Junction (resting point for spirits trying to decide which way to go)
- Facing dead end (in case of emergency you have no alternative way out)
- Facing mountains (the mountains are supposed to be behind you to back you up, not in front of you where it represents a block in your life)
- House number which has number 4 or anything adding up to 4 (die early)

Screen shot 2015 03 09 at 3.31.01 pm large
- Leasehold (govt can take it back anytime)
- Near LRT station (bad traffic)
- Near high tension cables (you will get leukaemia)
- Next to schools (heavy traffic)
- Next to kindergarten (you will hear children screaming the whole day)
- Near industrial area (pollution and many foreigners)
- Next or near to places of worship (terrible traffic during festive seasons)
- Near monsoon drain or river (flood)
- Near oxidation ponds (smell)
- Near waste incinerator (pollution)
- Near mining lake (pollution + smell)
- Ex-mining land (sink holes)
- High grounds (landslide)
- Low grounds (landslide / flood)
- Estate land (termites)
- Townhouses (no value)
- Near empty plot of land (don’t know what they are going to build there in future)
- Near student area (too much human traffic)

Screen shot 2015 03 09 at 3.31.54 pm large
- KL City (overpriced)
- Ampang / Bandar Sunway (ex-mining area)
- Jinjang (gangster area)
- PJ (too old need renovation)
- Puchong (too congested)
- Bukit Jalil (too congested)
- Kajang (too far, jam and flood)
- Cheras (too Chinese)
- Kampung Baru (too Malay)
- Brickfields (too Indian)
- Kepong (too many foreigners)
- Mont Kiara (overpriced concrete jungle)
- Cyberjaya (no pork)
- Klang (too many gangsters)
- Shah Alam (no alcohol and lottery ticket shops)
- Ulu Klang (too many landslides)

Here ends (or maybe not) the list of just some of the typical advice one is likely to get in Malaysia, where listening to all the advice will likely result in never purchasing a home.... ever! As such, the moral of the story? Buy what you and your family are comfortable and happy with.

Happy house hunting!

SHARE THIS TOPIC

Wanishark91 small

Lol! This is so true. Kind of what I'm facing right now!

Img 20190724 225107 small

Nice and good info!
Tq

Images small

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!! OMG Sounds just like my relatives!!!! LOL!!!!!!

"Don't plant papaya in front of house!! Because papaya is empty wan!! That means you no get money!!"

"Don't sweep the floor outwards! Always sweep inwards! If not all your luck flow out also!!!"

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!! xD Next thing you know....

Toon 2 large
1380434 10201431210114979 1940676289 n small

In8uw large

That's funny !
E224063cfaa042d1be6808c7edd9e4a0 small

(This post was removed by author)

Well written, very true and with great sense of humor.

V  9b59b6 small

House facing dead end?
I can't figure out how can the house faces dead end.
As for the number 4 thing, there are thousands of people died young without staying in any houses number 4.
Furthermore, those people living in section 14 or SS4 Petaling Jaya, not everyone die young.

061  img 5963 small

LOL! I totally agree with you, @vince2602. It's ridiculous. But I guess, nowadays young buyers are less 'pantang'. All these are usually from the older generation like my parents!

V  9b59b6 small

I have experience with a young couple in their late twenties, the man was concerned about the house facing a junction. I asked why, he said he worried his wealth will leak out through the junction. I asked him, why don't you think in a positive way that all the wealth would come in through the junction instead?

061  img 5963 small

@vince2602, haha. I guess in the end they didn't buy? Usually businessman are quite 'pantang' too. Afraid this and that might affect their business.

There are still many buyers who are superstitious. I have a unit of house with no.24 and there were some inquiries on the number whether it can be changed, the answer is NO. Chinese said it is "easy die", 1 of my buyer told me no way he will want to buy that house although the location is good. It is facing an empty land in front. It looks like I can only sell to a non Chinese buyer. The location is Taman Bakti, Ampang. Interested, call me at 0133407162. Thanks

061  img 5963 small

@jessie_lim, eh??? What's wrong with a unit facing empty land? I guess, the only logical reason would be, afraid that in the future there might be a new building development which will block their view and all the construction noises and dusty.

@Mag, Buyer like to have house facing land as there are more parking space but this house no. 24 is a problem.

V  9b59b6 small

It is good to know the use of the empty land, if it is for school or religious use, then the traffic volume on certain period will be high.
if it is for high rise development or commercial developmemt, hap hazard parking may be the potential problem....

Vince, totally agreed with you. At this moment, that land is state land and according to MPAJ, it will serve as a plants nursery for MPAJ to store their plants there. I don't think it will be for that purpose.

Img 20160114 wa0034 small

Totally agree that all the "pantang" and do's and dont's are real in property line as we have encountered all these in our line of work.  However, not everybody is like that. I had a lady Purchaser who said she bought the condo with unit  no 4-4 and it has brought her peace and wealth. 

D  c0392b small

There will never be perfect property. Choose one that fit most of your criteria such as budget, location, accessibility, type of property, etc. Notice I said most not all :) Then ask yourself if you can bear with the shortcomings. If you find one that 90% suits you, go for it :)

061  img 5963 small

Totally agree with you @danielfoo

D  f39c12 small

Totally agree with the do and don'ts, however its your choice to buy or not to buy

D  f39c12 small

(This post was removed by PropSocial administrator due to inappropriate or spamming content)

D  f39c12 small

(This post was removed by PropSocial administrator due to inappropriate or spamming content)

Img 20200922 wa0000 small

I would say, the most important is the feeling you have when you walk into the house.
I have experienced many times. You will able to tell if the properties suits your feeling as
you will either feel peace in your heart or pressure in your mind.

Image small

To fully follow a Feng Shui is mad. Do you realized that every year the Feng Shui changed? Just stick to the basic basic will do. The most important thing is your first feeling when you enter the house. The condition, brightness and the coziness is more important. As for the numbering, is it very individual. Some even purposely look for number 4. All this a re mostly superstitious beliefs. My ad is sis go with the flow and your feelings.

E  8e44ad small

Viewing a clean and nicely furnished unit gives a good impression to our Prospect (Buyer/Tenant) as well as a instant plus-point to our Client (Seller/ Landlord). Minimum noise pollution from the environment e.g. Lift Lobby and unblocked view are also plus-points.
Afterall whoever lives in or owns the unit would derive a lot of pleasure, peace, quiet and tranquility for a well-chosen unit.

Img 1986 small

My personal experiences:
Besides river - flood when heavy rain, monitor the water level like stock market everytime that happens
Near to rail track - king kung king kung (that sound when wheels hit against the track)
Close to highway or trunk road - hi-pitch engine sound especially heavy duty lorries, can't sleep well in the end since most of the lorries tend to cruise during wee hours
Nearby airport - when still a kid, excited to know everytime airplanes flew above the house; now grown up, worried about loud engine sound causing high blood pressure, heart disease etc.
Apartment - not enough parking
Landed house - not enough parking too!

E  27ae60 small

There's a house in my area which the main gate was facing a T-junction. The new owners completely tore down that gate, changed it to the other side so now they have a nice meandering driveway up to the parking spot (and it's really pretty too!) , and at the spot facing the main road is the face of a God. So.. I guess they're really pantang too and had a feng shui master look at it. So I guess there's actually a way around all those pantang-larangs above as well?

P  2c3e50 small

It make a lot of sense to look at all these feng shui aspects. But don't be too extreme. Most importantly, one must also feel comfortable staying in the place.

S  16a085 small

Img 5409 small

good insight for reference. lol

20150527 023646 1 small

Ahh i missed this post...