Recipients of the TARC-Radium Care Student Loan, Ariana Gan Yi Wei (third from left) and Keiscwar Genapathy (third from right) share their proud moment with (from left) Assoc. Prof. Dr. Chook Ka Joo (Vice President of Student Affairs and Services, TAR UMT); Prof. Ir. Dr Lee Sze Wei (President, TAR UMT); Datuk Gary Gan Kah Siong (Group Managing Director, Radium Development Berhad); and Mr Chai Woon Hou (Executive Director & Head of Corporate Affairs, Legal & Human Resources). Image from: Radium

Radium Development Berhad (“Radium”) and Tunku Abdul Rahman University of Management and Technology (“TAR UMT”) are delighted to announce the awarding of the TARC- Radium Care Student Loan to two exceptional students, in a significant stride towards fostering educational opportunities and community development.

This is followed with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between Radium and TAR UMT in January 2023, marking the start of a five-year partnership that sees the Klang Valley-based property developer contributing RM500,000 towards the establishment of the loan scheme, managed by the TAR UMT Student Loan Fund Committee.

The first two recipients of this loan scheme were honoured at a ceremony on Tuesday, 5 December 2023, at TAR UMT’s Kuala Lumpur main campus. They were Keiscwar Genapathy, a second-year Bachelor of Science in Architecture (Honours) student, and Ariana Gan Yi Wei, a third- year student in the Bachelor of Information Technology (Honours) in Software Systems Development programme.

Radium Development Berhad Group Managing Director Datuk Gary Gan Kah Siong said: “This milestone event marks a pivotal moment for Radium, solidifying our commitment to community development and education. The TARC-Radium Care Student Loan is more than financial support; it is a testament to our belief that education is the cornerstone of societal progress.”

“By empowering deserving students through this initiative, we are investing in the future, fostering a generation of leaders and contributors who will undoubtedly shape positive change in our communities and beyond. Radium is honoured to play a role in creating meaningful opportunities for these aspiring minds, aligning with our vision of ‘Building Good’, and leaving a lasting impact on the educational landscape,” Datuk Gary Gan added.

TAR UMT President Professor Ir. Dr Lee Sze Wei said: “We are immensely grateful for the collaborative partnership with Radium, which enables us to extend valuable opportunities to students from underserved communities, supporting them in attaining a high-quality tertiary education. Since our inception in 1969 as TAR College, our unwavering commitment to providing tertiary education opportunities for young Malaysians has transcended barriers of race, class, and creed. As we evolved into TAR UMT, one of the nation’s oldest institutions, this collaboration stands as a tangible demonstration of our ongoing role in nurturing Malaysia’s talent. We look forward to continuing this journey with Radium, collectively shaping a brighter future for our students and contributing to the nation’s educational landscape.”

The TAR UMT Student Loans are interest-free loans meant to assist students who face financial difficulties in completing their programme of studies at the university. The maximum values of the loan for each academic year are RM12,000 for Foundation students; RM10,000 for Degree students, and RM8,000 for Diploma students; with the value for each applicant being determined by the TAR UMT Student Loan Fund Committee. Applicants must be students currently pursuing full-time foundation, diploma or bachelor’s degree programmes at TAR UMT, who are financially needy and deserving, and Malaysian citizens.

Keiscwar Genapathy, who interned earlier this year with an architecture firm where he worked on the team that designed Radium’s Desa East Residences project, expressed his gratitude for being named a recipient of the loan. He said, “This support not only eases my financial burden but fuels my determination to excel academically and give back to my community. Upon graduation, I aspire to obtain my Architectural Registration (Ar) title by completing my part 3 exams, which will then enable me to contribute to my community, and pay forward the generosity shown by the TARC- Radium Care Student Loan, which has been a crucial bridge toward realising my dreams.”

Ariana Gan Yi Wei, who has been working part-time jobs since completing her SPM to help her cover her living expenses and rental fees, said that balancing work and studies has been a challenge, especially as she approaches the critical phase of her final year project. She said, “The TARC-Radium Care Student Loan is a lifeline, which offers me much-needed financial support, allowing me to reduce my working hours and concentrate on my final year of studies. My ambition is to work in the network field; this loan not only alleviates my financial burden but also empowers me to pursue this vision with full dedication.”

Recipients of the TARC-Radium Care Student Loan may be offered an internship to gain real-life working experience with the Radium Group, subject to prior approval from the relevant head of department.

(12 December 2023)