ABOUT 150 buyers of the Selayang Springs Condominium project made a report at the Gombak police headquarters against the developer for failing to complete the project in time.
Selayang Springs Damar Selangor Condominium Owners Association president Christopher Rozario, 54, who led the group, said the project was launched in 2009 and buyers were promised their keys in 2012 but the developer failed to deliver and the project had stalled at about 65% complete.
He said units in the two blocks of apartments –- Damar and Cedar -– had been priced from RM210,000 to RM500,000 and ranged in size from 86.39sq m to 124.49sq m.
There are 276 units in Damar and more than 200 units in Cedar.
The project sits on about 4ha of land and would have included a gymnasium, swimming pool and other facilities.
“We complained to Selangor Housing, Building and Urban Settlers Committee chairman Datuk Iskandar Abdul Samad three weeks ago and the Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Ministry four months ago. We also complained to Bank Negara on April 23 but nothing seems to have been done.
“We are in a dilemma. We have run out of ideas and have sought help from local leaders here,” the frustrated Rozario said after collecting a copy of his six-page police report.
He said some buyers were still servicing bank loans, paying between RM900 and RM2,000 monthly, and still had no idea when the condominium would be ready.
Rozario and the other buyers have now raised the issue with Selayang MCA secretary Ryan Ng and Selayang MCA Youth chief Chan Wun Hoong, who said they would do their best to help.
Chan said the Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS) should intervene as the abandoned project was affecting the housebuyers.
“I will bring this matter to Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Ministry to see how it can be solved, and will arrange a meeting soon,” he said.
Ng said he was looking at alternative ways to ensure the project was revived as soon as possible.
He said some buyers had purchased the property with the dream of retiring here in a condo-living environment but now had to fork out money to the bank monthly without having anything to show for it.
“Our main concern is for this project to be completed or have another developer take over, depending on the ministry’s decision,” he said.