Screen shot 2015 10 09 at 3.35.47 pm
Logo3 small

If you are one of those who have experienced being part of the buying and selling process of the property business, then chances are you may have encountered or dealt with these kinds of estate agents before:

The Slob

The unshaven face, the unkempt hair, the strong body odour, the coffee stains on their shirt; you would be forgiven if you mistakenly identified the slob as a homeless person. Prepare to be shocked when your stereotypical projection of an estate agent in suit and tie comes crashing down as soon as you cross paths with the slob.

Don’t be surprised if he/she turns up wearing a hoodie and flip-flops while smelling like they missed their yearly shower, all the while trying to sell to you what may be the biggest property deal that they will ever have. The slob seems to have no sense of understanding of the term “professional attire” and has zero sense of remorse for his presentation.

More on this: http://www.propsocial.my/topic/18/how-should-property-agents-carry-themselves-posted-by-hayden-lai

Keeping awake thanks ecard someecards large

The Overly Dressed

The direct opposite of the slob in terms of appearance. Granted, a person in suit and tie is viewed as a person who is both professional and confident in what they are doing, and it is not wrong for an agent to show up in their suits and ties. But it is not always necessary.

Imagine if you are attempting to rent a small unit in a low end apartment. You arrange to meet up with your agent during the weekend, and you are in your t-shirt and shorts - but in comes along an agent who is fully dressed up in formal attire as if he is about to sell you a holiday home in Dubai. Besides the fact that you may start to feel uncomfortable and underdressed, it also shows that the agent lacks confidence in in sealing the deal hence they have come dressed up to impress.

Screen shot 2015 10 09 at 3.28.19 pm large

Mr. Know-it-all

Claims to know everything about properties like it’s their middle name. Bombards you with countless jargons and statistics that will leave you scrambling to put 2 and 2 together after a brief conversation with him/her. You’ll be glad that your brain did not explode from the information overload when he/she finally stops yapping.

They will present to you redundant information such loan tenure, floating rate loans and base lending rates when all you asked for was the price of a unit, just to gloat to you that they are highly knowledgeable in their field and to prove to you that they are the ideal agent.

Screen shot 2015 10 09 at 3.29.49 pm large

The 'Kiasu'

Unethical, afraid to lose out to other agents and always wants to be on top of things. Will do just about anything in the dirty book to sabotage other deals including ripping off the signages of other agents, formulating lies, and posting a ton of their own signage on one property.

Can also be found posting the same ads for the same lot on multiple property portals to drown out competition, thus tricking potential buyers into thinking that he/she has several different lots. The only plus point is that the property industry is a small one, so people will soon learn how to avoid these types of agents.

More on this topic: http://www.propsocial.my/topic/125/property-agent-who-removed-other-agents-signage-posted-by-magdelin

Screen shot 2015 10 09 at 3.31.12 pm large

The Irresponsible

Also known as the magician for his/her ability to mysteriously vanish when they are most needed. Thinks that their only responsibility is to show buyers around properties and negotiate deals, and after the Sales & Purchase (S&P) signing is concluded they claim their loot, leave their clients in the dark on the next step and never follows up with the process. Literally, the "I don’t want to get involved" or "That's not my job" attitude.

Oh and did we mention that they inhabit typical Malaysian culture for not being punctual and are always late? That’s right, their “just around the corner” will leave you waiting for them like waiting for snow to fall in Malaysia.

Screen shot 2015 10 09 at 3.33.47 pm large

Have you met any of these or an agent you DO NOT wish to meet again? Come tell us.

Want to know more? Looking for the right home? Suffer from information overloads? For more insights about property-related topics head on to www.propsocial.my to get the latest reviews and feedbacks from communities of home owners, buyers and property agents to make better buying decisions.

(Contributed by: http://referjobs.my/)

Screen shot 2015 10 09 at 3.36.06 pm large

Screen shot 2015 10 09 at 3.35.47 pm large

SHARE THIS TOPIC

Chinese ad 4621 326x150 01

Signature 28 logo  custom  small

@ShiyanLim 

The deposit is a sort of "ransom" against the tenant... never towards the owner... as such must be held on by the owner. Even if the agent is entitled to a commission, must fully settle with owner the rental deposit before collecting any commissions. Correct me if i am mistaken ya.

20170514 115059 small

@domng Yes that's what I know :)

Signature 28 logo  custom  small

@ShiyanLim 

Yes. Even if it is in black and white inside the agreement that the tenant cannot use the deposit as final month rental payment. The tenants still tend to creep in and do it anyways. 

65648440 2406793556070448 9165628430648082432 o small

@admin_ps thanks for sharing